This is a review of the GAPS (Gut & Psychology Syndrome) Diet. This diet is for detoxification, digestive complaints, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, food allergies, intolerance’s and inflammation, it is great to pinpoint the intolerance and also heal the gut.
Taken from THE GAPS DIET – Natural Digestive Healing
There are 6 STAGES to the DIET, depending on what is tolerated and what should be taken out or added in, the stages will outline intolerance and sensitivities to foods. The STAGES are done slowly, and the time-frame differs for every person until the FULL GAPS DIET is ACHIEVED.
- Start the day with a cup of still mineral or filtered water.
- Supplement with Probiotics, Essential Fatty Acids, Vitamin A, Digestive Enzymes, Vitamins and Minerals.
- Only eat foods listed on the ALLOWED LIST.
- Avoid all dairy products for the first 4 weeks.
- In Stage 1, symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea and constipation will cease.
- You may need to be on this diet for 2 years, depending on the state of your body.
- If suspect allergy to any food, do SENSITIVITY TEST.
Take a drop of the food in question (if the food is solid, mash and mix with a bit of water) and place it on the inside of the wrist of the patient. Do it at bedtime. Let the drop dry on the skin, then let your patient go to sleep. In the morning check the spot: if there is an angry red reaction, then avoid that food for a few weeks, and then try again. If there is no reaction, then go ahead and introduce it gradually starting from a small amount.
- STAGE 1 Requires HOME MADE MEAT OR FISH STOCK, Ginger Tea with Honey and Probiotics
- STAGE 2 Requires continuation of STAGE 1 and adding RAW ORGANIC EGG YOLK, Stews, Casseroles, increasing probiotic amounts.
- STAGE 3 Requires continuation of STAGE 1 and STAGE 2, plus adding avocado, pancakes *made from various nuts, full eggs fried in goose fat, duck fat or ghee, add seurkraut and fermented vegetables into every meal.
- STAGE 4 Continue with stages above, now add Meats, roasted or grilled, olive oil, freshly pressed vegetable juices, make bread with nut flour.
- STAGE 5 Continue with all stages, now add raw vegetables, cooked apple puree, add fruit to juices.
- STAGE 6 Continue with all stages and introduce raw fruit and more honey.
The timing for the stages depends on each person, the diarrhea should start clearing before moving to the next stage. Soups and Stock need to be continued at least once a day. If person has normal stools then they are ready for the FULL GAPS DIET.
Here is THE LIST OF RECOMMENDED AND FOODS TO AVOID on the GAPS DIET.
Where to get help in AUSTRALIA?
If not sure that you can do it on your own, in Australia, GAPS AUSTRALIA has qualified practitioners who help with setting up, menus and support.
There are some very helpful RECIPES HERE.
There are also books you can buy:
It’s time for healing!